FAWNEY FORT LOL 2048
The early history of the Lodge ,unfortunately, is very scant. On the 29th
September 1884 a memorial was drafted requesting the formation of Fawney
Fort .We do know that the there had been a Lodge at Fawney prior to the
formation of the present one. The present Lodge was formed in January 1885.
A district meeting was held in the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall on the
11th Febuary where the Lodge’s officers were installed .We were delighted
to have had such a successful centenary dinner in September 1985 and to
celebrate, a new Bannerette was purchased.
It wasn’t till 22nd October 1922 that the Lodge had its own hall at a cost of £263-17-18 in old money. Over the years a new flag was purchased and then a new banner was unfurled and dedicated in on the 22nd June 1939.Then came the call to serve ones country and fight for the civil liberties they believed .The lodge sent 13 men Loyal and true who helped defeat Hitler's tyranny.
As with most Lodges the membership has fluctuated over the years and many have given their lives in conflicts throughout the world, some have sought their fortune abroad. The membership, when it was formed was 25 . The point when the membership was at is highest was after the Second World War when it was 110.
In 1966 on the 22 June a new banner was bought to replace the old one at a cost of £120. The Hall by now had electric but it wasn’t till 1970 that running water was installed.. The Hall had stood firm and had served the Lodge well till cowardly republicans terrorists destroyed it by burning it to the ground on 10th September 1975.
At 17.15 on the 10th of September 1975 Republican Terrorists cowardly placed one or several incendiary devices in Fawney Orange Hall. The fire brigade and police were on the scene as soon as possible but it was to no avail the hall was beyond anything now and all that was left was smouldering ashes.
But out of those ashes came the cry of " No Surrender" like our forefathers from the siege of Londonderry and work started on our new hall. An application was made to the Northern Ireland Office for compensation but compensation could not be paid till the Chief Constable issued a certificate saying this it was malicious. This came on 20th Jan 1976.
On the 15 September 1975 a special Lodge meeting was held in the Bro. Scott Goligher, by kind permission of our brethren in LOL 461 ,Bro. Scott Goligher. It was agreed that we seek planning permission to build on the same site as the old hall. LOL 461 also offered the use of their hall for further meetings.
On the 26th September the usual monthly meeting was held. Expressions of sympathy received from Grand Lodge of Ireland with a replacement warrant. A committee was formed and the hall began to take shape .
Final payment of compensation was received 10th September for the sum of £6922.57 some four years after the tragedy. Another payment of £5000.00 was made in respect of contents which could never be replaced. Many items in the fire were used in ceremonies for decades and all had a story to tell.
On the 27th of June the Lodge held its first meeting in our own hall and carried on meeting till the 6th of May 1986 when Sinn Fein/IRA returned to what they know best and destroyed the hall .Burnt to the ground and everything in it .Again we were determined that Sinn Fein/IRA would not and cannot beat us.
A new and better hall was built with better facilities and we will go on...